There are THREE big reasons that I love a Nicoise salad.: 1) It reminds me of Paris, 2) It is full of delicious, healthy fats, and 3) I really like saying the word Nicoise. [ knee-swah ]. Nicoise. Seriously though, if you’re up with current nutrition news, then you know that the Mediterranean Diet is one of the most highly recommended diets for weight loss, heart health, and overall wellness. The War on Fat has finally been formally renounced in 2015’s Dietary Guidelines. We now know that the unsaturated fats that we find in the healthier countries comprising the Mediterranean region, are beneficial for their abundance of fortifying antioxidants and nutrients (Omega 3s, 9s an alphalinoleic acid). Enjoy this salad while you imagine yourself on the beaches of Greece or a bustling, back street Paris Cafe. This salad is an excellent source of protein.
You will need:
- 1 can or 3 ounces of Albacore tuna (not if you’re pregnant)
- 2 soft boiled eggs*
- 6 pitted kalamata olives
- ½ of 1 avocado
- a few slices of red onion
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 4 pieces of asparagus
- green lettuce of your choice (recommend bibb or arugula)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- (capers and/or anchovies are a great addition!)
*place eggs in pot, cover with water, turn heat on high, allow to boil 6 minutes. Remove eggs from heat, let cool, and peel under cold running water. I like them done this way, but you may prefer traditional hard boiled.
- Drain your tuna and use a fork to mix in salt, pepper, and chopped fresh or dried dill.
- Cut your Asparagus, eggs, and tomatoes each in half with a sharp knife.
- Chop your lettuce, red onion, and ½ avocado into bite sizes as well.
- Arrange your lettuce on a platter. Place your seasoned tuna in the center and encircle it with all of your other ingredients. Generously salt and pepper entire platter, and then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
If you would like more from Elisabeth check out here website: Neolithic Homesteading
And don’t forget to follow her on Twitter.