Have you been wanting try juice fasting but aren’t sure how to start? Follow these suggestions and you will be on your way to juicing like a pro! It seems as though juicing and green smoothies are everywhere in the news. Juice cleanses are also catching on in popularity and for good reason: in our modern world, heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium, lead, uranium and aluminum may enter the human body through food, water, air, or by absorption through the skin. These toxins contribute to serious health problems in the human body. Our systems are designed to cleanse and detoxify daily, but sometimes with the onslaught of environmental toxins and stress, we need to rest and rejuvenate with a well balanced juice cleanse. A regular regimen of organic vegetables, drinking plenty of water and exercising daily is important for maintaining health, but learning how to design your own 1 day juice fast will give you the confidence and tools to detoxify and cleanse when you feel you need a boost. You can also take these principles and design a longer cleanse once you have gotten your feet wet. I recommend juicing daily to everyone, but at least once a month taking a whole day of JUST juice and smoothies is important for looking and feeling your best. But what should you be juicing? What supplements and super foods are best for detoxification? I like to design a cleanse as a series of drinks that perform different functions, but that all add up to glowing health and vitality. Juices and smoothies perform specific jobs in a well balanced cleanse:
- HYDRATORS Juices and smoothies in this category will contain electrolytes, silica, and lots of water! They are great for skin hair and connective tissue. This class of juices will be rich in silica, beta carotene, Vitamin C and Vitamin B complex. Common fruits and vegetables used in hydrating juices are watermelon, cucumber, coconut juice, lemon and cabbage. And of course it’s important to drink plenty of water!
- DETOXIFIERS One of the most important goals of any cleanse is to purify and detoxify heavy metals, chemicals and toxins from the intestines, blood and tissue. Cilantro, dark leafy greens, spirulina and chlorella are great for removing toxins from your system.
- BLOOD BUILDERS AND PURIFIERS are great for increasing red blood cell production and circulation, combatting fatigue and increasing energy, and helping to maintain healthy iron levels in the blood. And that increase in OXYGEN in your blood will make you feel great! Vegetables such as beets, beet greens, carrots and ginger are all in this category. Apples and grapefruit are excellent blood purifiers because the pectin fiber binds to heavy metals and cholesterol circulating in your system, thus cleansing your blood.
- ALKALIZERS Stress, pollution and poor diet all contribute to an acidic systemic ph balance.. Our natural ph is slightly alkaline and our bodies will struggle to return to an alkaline state by leeching minerals, especially calcium, from our bones! Mineral rich foods such as dark leafy greens, celery, sea vegetables, broccoli are perfect in alkaline drinks. Also, contrary to what we may have been led to believe, lemons, limes and grapefruits are alkalizing to the body when juiced!
- PROBIOTICS It’s a good practice to consume probiotics daily. They boost your immune system, increase the absorption of nutrients and help balance your gut bacteria. You will be amazed at how different you will feel once you include these in your daily practice. Kombucha, coconut kefir, rejuvelac and probiotic supplements such as Bio-K are all great additions to a cleanse protocol.This kind of supplement can be taken alone or added to smoothies.
Let’s look at an example of a menu for a 1 day juice cleanse! Keep in mind that some juices and smoothies may cross over a few categories. I recommend 6 juices and smoothies to clients–you won’t feel hungry, and there’s a full range of nutrients. Each morning should begin with a large (8-16oz) glass of purified water, ideally structured, filtered, alkalized or purified in some way. You may add lemon or lime (alkalizing), Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, cayenne pepper (supports circulation), clove (anti-parasitic), or Cellfood (an incredible natural product). Any of these additions will give you an extra boost of energy and aid in detoxification. If you are having problems with elimination you might want to drink a warm glass of water with 2 teaspoons of mineral salts. The results are quick-acting and impressive. Additional water should be had throughout the day Your goal should be to drink at least 50% of your weight in ounces (i.e., a 150-lb person should have 75 oz .of water per day). Before showering (morning and/or evening), take a few minutes to dry-brush your entire body. This stimulates the lymph system and further aids in passing along built-up toxins and stale lymph. The lymphatic system is a major part of overall immune health and is the only network in the body which is not activated by a muscle. Dry-brushing the skin, always towards the heart, helps with the absorption of fatty acids, transport of fats and production of immune cells. Lymph is also stimulated by walking, massage, exercise, use of a rebounder (mini-trampoline) or bouncing lightly while sitting on a Pilates or exercise ball.
Here is a suggested list of juices and smoothies that illustrate a balanced cleanse following these principles:
8 am PROBIOTIC Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie
2 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk 1 avocado, peeled and chopped 1 Tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp vanilla 1 Tbsp wildflower honey or agave ½ cup blueberries or raspberries 1 banana 1 capsule probiotic supplement, such as Bio K Acidophilus Capsules Pinch salt Blend well until smooth.
10 am HYDRATOR Coco Cleanser 16 oz. Coconut juice/water 1 teaspoon chlorella Juice of one lime 1 Tablespoon agave (optional) or stevia to taste Mix everything in a blender.
Noon ALKALIZER Lemon Ginger Snap Two lemons 1” of ginger Pinch ginger 6 oz water Juice everything in a juicer. Drink as soon as possible.
2 pm BLOOD PURIFIER Super Immunity Juice 1 “ fresh ginger 4 leaves kale 2 green apples 2 stalks celery or cucumber 1 lemon wedge 1 teaspoon chlorella, spirulina or other blue green algae Juice all the produce in a a juicer, except the lemon. At the end, add the lemon and algae and mix well.
4 pm DETOXIFIERGreen Smoothie 1 apple 1/4 avocado 2 cup coconut juice 1 teaspoon spirulina or chlorella powder 1 cup chopped kale 2 dates (optional) Blend well until smooth.
6 pm-BLOOD BUILDER Juicy Mary 2 carrots 2 stalks celery 2 leaves beet greens 2 tomatoes Pinch cayenne Juice everything in a juicer.
If you enjoyed this post please check out the rest of Rachel’s amazing recipes at her website: rachelcarr.com.