Finally. A bread that will allow me to put a dent in the mountain of bananas in my freezer. And a bread that is packed with nutrition yet does not feel like a rock or taste like cardboard. This banana bread has a wonderful texture and is free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. I suggest some nut butter on top, but then again, I always suggest cashew/almond/walnut/macadamia/sunflower butter on top. One more note- this bread is for chia seed lovers only. Often, I come across a recipe and ‘chia’ is in the title, yet there is one measly teaspoon of chia seeds in an entire batch of muffins. When I say chia, I mean c h i a. This bread calls for 1/3 of a cup, so prepare for a healthy dose of nutrients!
Why should you add chia seeds to your diet? Let me count the ways. Chia seeds are one of the best plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids (especially alpa-linolenic acid), which can improve cognitive function, reduce inflammation, and lower high cholesterol. Chia seeds are also a great source of fiber, so do your digestive system a favor and incorporate 2 tablespoons (which contain 10 grams of fiber) of chia seeds into your diet as often as possible. These special seeds can also help regulate blood sugar by removing excess insulin form the blood. Chia seeds are gluten-free, packed with minerals, and a rich source of antioxidants. Did you know that chia seeds can be used as an egg replacer? Mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of warm water and let stand 10 minutes. There are so many reasons to love chia seeds…including banana bread.
Chia Banana Bread Recipe
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
- 3 frozen bananas, defrosted
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- pinch himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients (melt coconut oil before adding) and mix thoroughly.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and combine with wet ingredients.
- Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan and pour soon-to-be-delicious-bread in evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top begins to turn golden brown. Double check with a toothpick, but remember that chia seeds will tend to stick (if in doubt, the bread is probably done).
The loaf in the above photo has a marbled look to it because I opted to not thoroughly mash the bananas before mixing. If you use a mixer or mix the bananas into the mix completely, the loaf will look more like this: