A sense of well-being: that is just one of the phrases that people say they derive from getting regular exercise. But what specific benefits does it really give our bodies?
1. Weight control: When you exercise, you burn calories. You see these numbers on the machine and it gives you a boost knowing the number of calories you have already expended exercising. Exercises need not necessarily be done spanning a longer period of time high intensity interval training is a method of exercising that allows you to maximise calories burnt in a ridiculously short period of time.
2. Deters health conditions and diseases: Regular activity promotes high density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol and decreases low density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol. This dual action prevents the clogging of arteries which may lead to heart disease. On the other hand, physical activity has been observed to be a deterrent of Type 2 diabetes. Physical activity improves blood glucose control so that the controlled increase of glucose allows the body to regulate glucose levels and prevents the onset of diabetes and hypoglycaemia (a state where glucose levels are very high but there is very little insulin).
3. Improves well-being: Being active stimulates a lot of brain chemicals in particular dopamine which makes you feel happy, relaxed and even euphoric. Exercise makes you feel happy about yourself, promoting self-esteem and confidence.
4. Exercise boosts energy: A good exercise increases your heart rate which makes blood move faster throughout your circulatory system and deliver oxygen to your entire body, resulting in you feeling energized and ready to take on additional physical and mental challenges.
5. Promotes better sleep. A regular routine can help you sleep faster and sleep deeper. This in turn enables the body to recuperate brain cells and establish normal circadian rhythm.
6. Promotes a healthy sex life. Regular exercise for women leads to enhanced arousal, while in men lessens the probability of erectile dysfunction.
7. It is a fun activity. Exercise enables you to unwind and helps you to bond with friends and family in a very relaxed setting. A Plus is the results that come from the fruits of your hard work, a more focused and sharp mind, a slim and trim body, disease free and a positive outlook.
Exercise not only provides us with a good strong body to address our daily activities and to achieve our goals but it also keeps our whole system in shape to avoid the debilitating effects of diseases and injuries. Keeping our body fit not only boosts our self-esteem but enables us to live healthier, happier and longer lives.
As always, stay safe, live well, fully and in the moment – embrace life!