People, especially young children with a sweet tooth, are often criticized because of their cravings for foods with high sugar content. Some of these are chocolates, biscuits and soda drinks which when too much is consumed can result to high blood sugar levels and insulin spike. Over consumption of sugar leads to weight gain, high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer. Sugar is so commonplace in almost everything we consume. Sugar is not something that we should be consuming on a daily basis and should be watched vigilantly in the foods we prepare and select. This is one highly addictive drug and should be treated the same way, get rid of as much sugar as you can out of your diet and see immediate results.
Below are the 13 dangers of sugar that everyone should be aware of.
- The most common problem that is oftentimes experienced by people, especially kids with a sweet tooth is tooth decay. The presence of just a little bit of sugar makes bacteria in the teeth active in less than sixty minutes. This is why parents often tell their children to drink more water or to brush their teeth after eating foods with high sugar content.
- Too much sugar intake normally makes one weary, violent, uneasy and worse, angry and irritable.
- Insomnia and sleep apnea can also be consequences of eating foods with high sugar content.
- It could also affect the skin. Spots and blemishes are usually brought out with excessive amounts of sugar in the body.
- Obesity is also linked to high sugar ingestion.
- Obesity and high sugar intake could be subsequently related to other health problems such as diabetes, stress, depression, urinary incontinence and degenerative arthritis.
- A diet high in sugar results to high levels of fat which alter the levels of hormones such as progesterone and estrogen. Changed hormonal levels can lead to irregular menstrual cycles and worse, infertility.
- Cardiovascular problems like heart disease is also associated with sugar surplus.
- Other health conditions are acid re-flux, more popularly known as heartburn.
- Too much sugar intake could also lead to conditions that are manifested by breathing difficulties, such as asthma.
- High cholesterol is yet another danger.
- High blood pressure or hypertension, which could lead to stroke, is also associated with high-sugar diets.
- Cancer is also one of the dangers of sugar that everyone should be aware of. Cancer of the prostrate and the colon are common in overweight men. Cancer of the uterus, ovaries and breast are frequent in overweight women.
Have you stopped eating sugar all together? Let us know how this has improved your health.
As always, stay safe, live well, fully and in the moment.