Constipation is defined as the slow, difficult transit of the contents of the intestines, with infrequent evacuations and excessively firm feces. A proper diet is necessary in order to cure constipation.
Some factors that aggravate constipation are:
- An improper diet, with insufficient water and/or fiber intake
- Irregular bowel habits
- Abuse of laxatives
- Lack of physical exercise
Once these four causes are corrected, most cases of constipation are corrected as well. A proper diet is essential to the solution.
- Drink enough water – If the body is not properly hydrated, the large intestine extracts water from the feces. Fruit and vegetable juices, clear soups and herbal teas are also good sources of fluid although water is still the best source.
- Eat a proper diet – the only one that moves the feces normally through the intestines are fibers that can only be found in plant based foods. Avoiding constipation requires a proper diet of:
- Fresh fruits – 5 different portions of fresh fruits a day is highly recommended in order to achieve the desired amount of proper diet of fiber one needs.
- Vegetables – 2 ½ cups of vegetables a day is a recommended amount to get enough fiber.
- Psyllium husks – Psyllium husks can be added to fruit and vegetable juices for an added dosage of fiber.
- Regular physical exercise – aside from proper diet, regular exercise helps constipation because it decreases the time it takes the food to move through the large intestine. It also accelerates your breathing and heart rate which helps stimulate the natural contraction of the intestinal muscles.
- Educate the bowels – medical remedies such as laxatives and enemas are but temporary relief for persistent functional constipation, though they do provide relief for an acute case of constipation. In order to avoid constipation, regular bowel movements must be practiced. Never ignore the need to defecate and train the bowels to void at the same time, say, 1 hour after breakfast.
Start incorporating these simple steps and you should see your health and well-being increase!
Let us know your tips for curing constipation below!